So my 11 year old did what I still have yet to do (and most likely won’t be doing anytime soon)…
… JRoc made PASTA from SCRATCH!
Here’s the recipe he used…
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the flour in a mound on a large floured surface.
- Make a wel in the center. Add the water and salt.
- Using a fork, gently start to work the flour into the liquid.
- Continue until the dough becomes sticky and difficult to work with the fork.
- Use hands to form the rough dough into a ball. Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3 or 4 balls and let rest 30 minutes.
- Proceed with rolling and cutting the pasta according to your recipe.
And roll & cut the dough (into 2 inch squares) he did…
Then he mashed some potatoes he boiled earlier today, and added some corn. He also added some salt & pepper to taste.
He spooned (about 1/2 tablespoon) the mixture into a pasta square…
Folded the pasta in half, pressed the edges together, and sealed it with a fork…
Then we fried these babies in vegetable oil for about a minute (keep your eyes on them and take em out once they turn golden)…
This is what the inside looks like…
Here’s how my little chef served it…
And it was the BEST freakin potato & corn stuffed fried ravioli we’ve ever tasted in our entire life!!
Cooking with my son has always been so much fun! It’s a great opportunity to learn, create, & bond together… and I feel it’s played a HUGE role in my son being open to trying all sorts of food, like Japanese octopus rolls, bone marrow spreads, and more!! (I know I would’ve been all “eew”-ing and “yuck”-ing when I was his age!)
It also helps them experience & appreciate the time you spend in the kitchen preparing their meals!! *wink wink*
P.S. Lemme know what you think!
Carmen is a mom, life strategist, religion teacher, best selling author, advice columnist, foodie wannabe, and advocate for victims of narcissistic abuse. She is currently living la vida loca in Vegas with her not-so-little human… prepping him for med school while pseudo-adulting, Tahitian dancing, and exploring the delicious world of bubble tea *woo!*