I’ve seen this all over the web & social media… and although I haven’t been able to confirm they’re all from Oprah herself, I agree with each and every point… especially ones that I’ve bold-faced.
Ladies… Know your value… and never, ever give yourself up – for anyone. xoxo
- If a man wants you, nothing can keep him away.
- If he doesn’t want you, nothing can make him stay.
- Stop making excuses for a man and his behaviour.
- Allow your intuition (or spirit) to save you from heartache.
- Stop trying to change yourself for a relationship that’s not meant to be.
- Slower is better.
- Never live your life for a man before you find what makes you truly happy.
- If a relationship ends because the man was not treating you as you deserve then heck no, you can’t “be friends”.
- A friend wouldn’t mistreat a friend.
- Don’t settle. If you feel like he is stringing you along, then he probably is.
- Don’t stay because you think “it will get better.” You’ll be mad at yourself a year later for staying when things are not better.
- The only person you can control in a relationship is you.
- Avoid men who’ve got a bunch of children by a bunch of different women. He didn’t marry them when he got them pregnant, why would he treat you any differently?
- Always have your own set of friends separate from his.
- Maintain boundaries in how a guy treats you.
- If something bothers you, speak up.
- Never let a man know everything. He will use it against you later.
- You cannot change a man’s behaviour. Change comes from within.
- Don’t EVER make him feel he is more important than you are… even if he has more education or in a better job.
- Do not make him into a quasi-god. He is a man, nothing more nothing less.
- Never let a man define who you are.
- Never borrow someone else’s man. If he cheated with you, he’ll cheat on you.
- A man will only treat you the way you ALLOW him to treat you.
- All men are NOT dogs.
- You should not be the one doing all the bending… compromise is two way street.
- You need time to heal between relationships…
- There is nothing cute about baggage… deal with your issues before pursuing a new relationship.
- You should never look for someone to COMPLETE you… a relationship consists of two WHOLE individuals… look for someone complimentary… not supplementary.
- Dating is fun… even if he doesn’t turn out to be Mr. Right.
- Make him miss you sometimes… when a man always know where you are, and you’re always readily available to him – he takes it for granted.
- Never move into his mother’s house.
- Never co-sign for a man.
- Don’t fully commit to a man who doesn’t give you everything that you need.
- Keep him in your radar but get to know others.
P.S. Lemme know what you think!
Carmen is a mom, life strategist, religion teacher, best selling author, advice columnist, foodie wannabe, and advocate for victims of narcissistic abuse. She is currently living la vida loca in Vegas with her not-so-little human… prepping him for med school while pseudo-adulting, Tahitian dancing, and exploring the delicious world of bubble tea *woo!*