I’ve been admiring the most kawaii (Japanese for “cute”) treats served in Japanese cafes, and wanted to make sumn adorably delicious here at home!
What I did was simply split open a fresh baked croissant (or a warmed up ready-made one), spoon in some creamy egg custard (recipe below), and add your juicy strawberries! YUM is an understatement!
I’ve even included a Vegan Custard recipe because I’m considerate like that.
Custard and Strawberry Filled Croissants
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine milk, sugar, and cornstarch in saucepan over medium heat. Whisk while scraping bottom of pan to so cornstarch doesn’t burn. Continue until milk is scalded.
- Slowly add egg yolks while whisking. Continue to heat mixture 2-3 minutes until mixture begins to thicken. Do not bring to boil.
- Remove from heat, pour into small bowl and chill until set.
No-Bake Vegan Custard:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp agar agar
- Pinch of turmeric
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- Pour milk into small pan. Add corn starch, agar agar, and turmeric. Whisk until dry ingredients have completely dissolved.
- Continue to whisk while adding maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Cook on medium heat while stirring continuously until mixture starts to simmer. Remove from heat, pour into small bowl and chill until set.
~ Enjoy! xoxo
|Mmmm… Try this recipe?
Tag @itscarmentime on Instagram
with hashtag #itscarmentimeYUMS
P.S. Lemme know what you think!
Carmen is a mom, life strategist, religion teacher, best selling author, advice columnist, foodie wannabe, and advocate for victims of narcissistic abuse. She is currently living la vida loca in Vegas with her not-so-little human… prepping him for med school while pseudo-adulting, Tahitian dancing, and exploring the delicious world of bubble tea *woo!*